Two Sundays ago we were asked to speak in church on magnifying our callings by simplifying our lives. After we were done speaking the bishop stands up and challenges everyone to turn off their extra curricular electronics for the week. No TV, movies, computer games, etc. Of course we could still use the computer to get work done but that was it. This was a busy week for me. I was teaching preschool, working on a web page, babysitting for friends and packing for a weekend trip along with the other daily things Moms have to do. Monday came and went with much frustration and I was very skeptical that we would make it through the week. Sure I was aloud to use the computer to get work done but I got NO work done because the kids were constantly wanting attention, fighting with each other or getting hurt. I was up very late that night working on my preschool lesson and web page. And how do you tell a two year old that he can't watch his favorite tv show anymore? He doesn't know how long a week is. I told myself that if I was going to get anything done I could justify and turn the TV on for the kids only when I was working on the computer. Well, the next morning I had a change of heart and told myself I would just see how things went. I'm happy to say that we made it through the week with no TV. Luckily it was nice enough outside for the kids to play out there once in awhile. They discovered old toys that were suddenly fun to play with again, read books, played games and Alex was even asking for homework to do. I remember a time not too long ago when this was the normal life we lead, I think it was called summer. Over the winter the tv started to stay on longer and longer as I got busier and busier and the weather got colder and colder outside. "Boots " (Dora) was like a binki for Johnny. It was his security blanket, he'd ask for it any time he was upset or hurt. I think this week we have weaned him off of it. Of course he still likes it and asks for it when I ask him what show he wants to watch but he's not asking for it all day, every day. So we made it through the week and Friday Brad and I were to take off for a weekend trip while the kids stayed here with their aunt at our house. I wasn't going to make my sister-in-law keep the TV off while we were gone, I wanted this weekend to be as easy as possible for her. So I told Alex that the TV would go back on Friday. Since they were staying in our house I wanted it to be clean and the only way to keep it clean until we left that afternoon was to turn the TV so the kids weren't making messes behind me as I cleaned.
They are of a sunset view from our backyard the other day.
4 comments:
Wow, those pictures are gorgeous.. so does this mean the TV is gone forever?? Man, I don't know if I could do that. But the GUILT that comes with knowing your babies are downstairs glued to the TV and you're on the computer.. the GUILT is just too much sometimes!!
Not forever, but it goes off before breakfast and they can't have it back on until they get dressed and do their chores. And they can't watch it during any meal anymore. They usually forget about it because they don't want to do their chores. :o)
That's a good idea to have it down to an exact schedule for TV. I need to do that so the lines are set more clearly. I keep cracking up every time I see Johnny in his underwear and cowboy hat. Really funny.
Oh, that comment was from me, whoops...
Post a Comment