Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Rock Climbing

Johnny

Maddie

Alex

Brooke


Luke

We went climbing yesterday for the first time since I got pregnant with Johnny. We brought along our friends the Johnsons (Jason, Suzy, Luke, Brooke & Maddie). I remember bringing Alex when she was about Johnny's age and she would sit mostly on a rock and watch us while she ate a snack or something. Johnny was ALL OVER the rock. It was ridiculous. As soon as we got up there he saw some guys climbing next to us and he wanted to climb the rock himself. I told him he had to wait until the rope was set up and he could have a turn. One person had to always be at his side at all times, he didn't want to stand still for a second with all of these boulders to climb around him. At one point it was my turn to climb so I had to put my climbing shoes on. Brad was all ready to belay so we made him sit in time out on a rock just so he would stay still and safe for a moment until someone could watch him. He bawled the whole time and then Suzy asked if he could get out of time out and we told her he was only in there because he wouldn't sit still for us. So she watched him on the rocks while I climbed. Brooke and Luke both wanted to go a second time and they did even better than the first time they tried. Alex wanted to try but once she got up as high as I could help her she wanted back down. She's still pretty young, we'll see if she's interested next year. Johnny was beside himself when it was his turn. He mostly just used it as a little swing and hung there for a minute. Brad started pulling him up further, he was so light he probably could've pulled him up to the top if it wasn't for the protruding rocks and the fact that the harness was a tad too big for him. Johnny liked the experience though and I'm sure he will be excited to try again next year.

No comments: