Sunday, February 15, 2009

For the LOVE

That's my only excuse.....for the LOVE. I don't want my kids to be spoiled. I would love for them to grow up with memories of "making due with what they had". My parents didn't always have a lot of money growing up, but I never felt like I was missing out on anything. So they can still grow up to be kind, giving people if they are just a little spoiled now and again can't they?
They woke up Valentine's Day with gifts outside their door from their Grammie and Grandpa
(it's hard not to spoil them when their grandparents do it so well).
Johnny is in heaven with a Ben 10 omnitrix watch that he wears constantly now, transforming him into all different kinds of aliens throughout the day. He has to be a different alien when he's picking up, eating his meals or saving the world. If any of you don't follow Ben 10, he dials the watch to the alien he wishes to change into and then slams his hand down onto it completing the transformation.


Alex is actually the original Ben 10 fan in the household but she is much more excited when her gifts are pink and purple and sparkly. My Mom sent out a case of 7, yes SEVEN, my little ponies for her to adopt. Each with a special edition stamp and virtue painted on their flanks. She's decided they make great parents for her miniature ponies she got from her Nana & Papa for Christmas.
And of course Brad and I sent them on a treasure hunt focusing on the love we feel when we spend time together as a family. Spots that the clues led them to include, where we eat meals together as a family, what takes us on trips as a family, where we keep the books we read as a family, where our games are that we play as a family and of course, what we watch movies on together as a family. Under the TV they found the the Wii that we got for them. I emphasized to Alex especially (because she has such a good memory) not to expect a big gift like this next year for Valentine's Day, usually they just get a card and some treats. The truth is, Valentine's was just an excuse, we were going to get one anyway. We can play the games together as a family and it gives them a way to get out extra energy in the winter when they're cooped up inside.
Brad and I have always agreed that "we would never have a video game system in our home". But that was because I saw them as something that would tear us apart. But with 4 controllers going at once, I believe this will bring us closer together. Johnny LOVES Mario Kart and whoops and hollers the whole time declaring "I'm winning!" even though he's mostly going around in circles the whole time. This frustrates Alex of course because she can't stand loosing. Maybe we can use this as a tool to teach her how to be a good sport. We got Wii Fit, Active Life Outdoor Games and Wii Play. Last night we played bowling as a family and Alex actually came in ahead of me. Johnny even broke 100. It was lots of fun, and I'm looking forward to spending more time with the kids and Brad at the Wii.
I can't forget to mention the pink heart-shaped pancakes I made for breakfast, the heart-shaped grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and the Italian resteraunt style meal we ate for dinner by candlelight, using our nice china. Valentines was always a family holiday for Brad growing up and I'm trying to carry on those great traditions with our own children. It's great to focus on the love we have for each other (because some times I think the kids forget a little how much they really love each other). And to top it all off, Alex has a talk in church this Sunday entitled "I came to earth as part of a family".

1 comment:

Sarie said...

Laurel, your kids will turn out well rounded, funny, happy and grateful. Because you are. Don't worry for a second.