I figure it's time for a new post. For the last couple of Thursdays Alex and I have made the drive up to Bogus Basin for ski lessons. The first day was snowy and wet and Alex's cheap "waterproof" gloves were not so waterproof. I spent the whole two hours wondering what kind of an experience she was having. When I went to pick her up she was cold and hungry and said she didn't ever want to come back. I explained that we already paid for 4 lessons and so we were going to come back and try to have fun and improve. When I asked her what she learned she explained the "pizza" and the "french fry" to me but then admitted that she practiced a little but mostly sat and watched other people practice. No wonder she was cold, sitting in the snow most of the time. Then after a sandwich and a few cups of hot cider were in her she said that she had fun today. Sounds familiar, she does this every time we try something new.
So that week we went shopping for nice warm gloves as well as liners. She said that she would use the face guard this time and we got extra tights to put another layer on her legs. The next week we went up and it was still cold but at least it wasn't snowing and the snow was nice and powdery. Her teacher took her up on the magic carpet this time which they stand on like an escalator and it takes them up to the top of a little hill. When I picked her up she was smiling and telling me that she practiced a lot and told me about the magic carpet. The first week we packed lunch and headed straight home after our lessons. But this time we went into the lodge and ordered a meal and then went out together and she took me on the magic carpet. I'm sure we looked a little funny going down the hill. I would walk sideways on my skis while Alex slid down to me. I wish I could watch the teachers so I could continue teaching her what they have already started on. She worked on her "pizza" shape and laughed the whole time even though she was a little nervous. It was fun but still as we were walking to the truck she asked if we had to come back again. I told her yes of course, the more you practice the more confident you become and the more fun it is for you. I explained that some day Johnny would be taking lessons too and we would all go up skiing together as a family and she'll want to know how to ski so she doesn't feel left out. She looked at me and said "you signed up for 4 lessons?" I replied with a yes. "And we've already had 2?" Yes. "So we have 2 more?" Yes. Then she dropped the subject, figuring she could make it through 2 more lessons I guess. I don't know what I'm going to do with this girl, she's having fun but she hates it when something doesn't come easy to her. She loves her school work because for her it's easy, she loves her tricycle because it's easy. She doesn't like to push herself. But when she gets on her bike and gains confidence she really loves it. Should I keep pushing her to realize her full potential or should I let her stay in her safety zone? Next month we were suppose to sign back up for gymnastics but she says she doesn't want to. I'm afraid that if I sign her up for dance I will spend all this money on new dance clothes and classes and she'll decide she doesn't like that either. I think I'm going to make a deal with her that if she can stick with gymnastics for this year then I will sign her up for ballet next year. Any suggestions?
2 comments:
I think pushing her a bit is a great thing...I wish I would have been pushed a little more as a child. I love that she is taking ski lessons too...that is something she'll be able to do all her life.
You are doing a great job, Laurel! I just signed Gracie up for a short gymnastics class. We'll see how it goes. I haven't pushed her into many things.. but if I did, she would dig in her heels like Alex. But then again, she is glad AFTER the fact, because she gains confidence. This whole parenting thing is getting more complicated...
Post a Comment