Thursday, August 14, 2008

Something's Missing

It was unexpected. Driving home from camping on Sunday Alex announces, almost in passing, that her tooth is loose. Apparently she had known about it for awhile because she had talked about it with her cousins yet had forgotten to mention it to me. I almost didn't believe her because she has often announced this in hopes that it would be true and it's always been a false alarm. I told her that it probably wouldn't happen until she was 6 because I didn't want her to be disappointed when she turned 5 and all her teeth were still in place. So she was very proud that it happened while she was still 5, quite an accomplishment on her part apparently.

I kept checking for the next couple of days to make sure it was still there and warned her to be aware of it so she didn't swallow it while she was eating. Then Tuesday night as I was heading out the door for a meeting Alex sticks her tongue through a newly discovered hole in her mouth and asks "where's my tooth?!" Seriously? Right now? I'm heading out the door and you just lost (literally lost) your first tooth? I need to take pictures and help you write a letter, etc. Brad could see the panic building in my eyes and suggests as if it was rather obvious "how about she does that tomorrow and puts it under her pillow tomorrow night?" Alex didn't seem to object, the tooth was quickly found under her chair where she had recently eaten a bedtime snack and I headed out the door. So first thing the next morning we taped the tooth beneath a piece of plastic to some stationary and went about writing our first letter to the Tooth Fairy.

Tooth Fairy
I 'heart' U Tooth Fairy
This is mi first tooth I am 5
Love, Alex

We put it in a safe place until bedtime that night and Alex was sure she was going to wake up as soon as the tooth fairy came into her room. The next morning I found Alex downstairs watching TV as usual but this time she had a dollar bill and 4 quarters clutched in her hand. She was so excited to show me what the tooth fairy left her and to tell me that the tooth fairy "wears a green dress."

1 comment:

Sarie said...

SOOO CUTE!