Monday, March 23, 2009

Torn

We started off our spring break with Alex's first motorcycle ride around the block. No, Brad didn't buy a motorcycle. This is his Dad's beauty that currently resides at our house since they moved into a smaller town home. Seeing it every day draws Johnny's attention and he kept asking Brad for a ride. "When it warms up a little I will take you for a ride" Brad would tell him. Well it warmed up a little and Johnny chickened out. So Alex cautiously took his place and rode once around the block holding tight to her Dad's waste. The first time I met Brad he took me on a ride around the block on his motorcycle. Then he picked me up on a motorcycle for our first date. I always thought they would be a part of our lives and loved the thought of it. Then a few months into our relationship an SUV pulled out in front of him just a couple of blocks from my apartment, knocking him unconscious and giving him a minor case of amnesia. I guess in a way I should thank that non-observant driver because it knocked a little sense into Brad about his own mortality and that's when he started thinking about marriage. Hmmm. Well, I would've been on the bike with him if my sister hadn't been in town. He was going to ride the bike back to his place and pick up his car so he could fit all three of us. Ever since then, as much as I love motorcycles I have been weary of Brad riding them for fear I would some day lose him because of it. I have warned my kids that they can be dangerous in the past and apparently they still remember it because they were both scared to climb on the back for a quick ride around the block. I was torn between wanting my daughter to have no fear and enjoy the thrills in life that I have always loved and wanting to use her fear to keep her safe the rest of her life. I guess the key is to teach them safety while enjoying the experiences. Luckily Brad doesn't have his motorcycle license and so he just starts it up once in awhile to make sure it's still running fine. I almost want him to get it though just so he can take me out on the town for a little nostalgia.

3 comments:

Celeste said...

That is a hard decision. Just pray super duper hard when he does take the kiddos out. ...that is a very good looking bike by the way.

Hannah said...

When you say nastalgia... correct me if i am wrong but I remember when you came and visited Utah with Sarah when I was still in high school. She told me about this Brad that took you for a motorcycle ride... the rest is history huh?

Sarie said...

What you said is so true Laurel. I want the girls to be cautious, but not too cautious... it's a catch.

Miss you guys!
Love the pictures.