When I saw this nest building on my front porch I was hesitant to allow it's progression. I don't like the birds waking me up at 5:30 every morning, I don't like the pile of poo they've left on my front porch and I don't want this to become a permanent nesting spot for their family. But alas, the eggs were already laid and I didn't have the heart to take it down. Now we have 5 cute little baby birds who greet us whenever we step onto our front porch. The kids enjoy, sitting on our porch swing and "talking/tweeting" to them. They've seen the parents bring them worms to eat and love that anytime a flash goes off in their direction, they all perk up and start begging for food. It's nice to have something close and immovable for them to observe. When we were on our trip and in the car for 2 days each way, so much was happening around us. However, every time I pointed out a double rainbow, lightening storm in the distance, long train moving through a mountain view valley or a fighter airplane whizzing past our window, they would always be too slow to see it and disappointed that they missed out. I had a hard time learning to just keep it to myself. Now I have something incredible that I can share with them and hopefully we'll be able to watch them grow and eventually fly off on their own.Friday, June 26, 2009
Observations
When I saw this nest building on my front porch I was hesitant to allow it's progression. I don't like the birds waking me up at 5:30 every morning, I don't like the pile of poo they've left on my front porch and I don't want this to become a permanent nesting spot for their family. But alas, the eggs were already laid and I didn't have the heart to take it down. Now we have 5 cute little baby birds who greet us whenever we step onto our front porch. The kids enjoy, sitting on our porch swing and "talking/tweeting" to them. They've seen the parents bring them worms to eat and love that anytime a flash goes off in their direction, they all perk up and start begging for food. It's nice to have something close and immovable for them to observe. When we were on our trip and in the car for 2 days each way, so much was happening around us. However, every time I pointed out a double rainbow, lightening storm in the distance, long train moving through a mountain view valley or a fighter airplane whizzing past our window, they would always be too slow to see it and disappointed that they missed out. I had a hard time learning to just keep it to myself. Now I have something incredible that I can share with them and hopefully we'll be able to watch them grow and eventually fly off on their own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow, that's a great picture. I don't think I've ever seen real baby birds. Well, live ones. We find the dead ones that fall out of the nests. And be lucky because we have a bird that wakes us up at 4:30 every morning. Stupid bird!! Anyway, haven't read your blog in a long time!! Everything looks good!! Hopefully I'll be up to posting soon. LOL. I've already posted on mine. And hopefully will post on the kids' tomorrow. ttys, L
Post a Comment