Sunday, June 13, 2010

Growing Up

Alex has been asking to get her ears pierced since she was 3. I wanted her to be old enough to take care of them on her own so I told her she needed to wait until she was 8. Well here she is, 6 months away from her 8th birthday and my friend gets me thinking about Alex's ears. So this Saturday while we were at the mall (shopping for a father's day present) we stopped by Claire's and made it happen. They said that ideally it would be best to keep them in for 6 months so now she will be ready to take them out FOR her birthday and try on some new earrings. On our way there she was asking me and her Dad if it would hurt. We assured her that it would pinch a for a second like when she's gotten her shots but it would be over really fast and she would have glamorous ears. The lady at the store told her that she would feels a pinch and her ear would feel hot but that they would cool it down with some cleaner afterward. Alex had lots of questions for her as she hugged the little "Claire Bear" they let her hold. She had the girls reading her the label on the cleaner and even picked up the little "gun" they use to pierce her ears with her finger on the trigger, we took that out of her reach real fast. As soon as she saw the earrings to choose from she was dead set on her December birthstone, the blue zircon. Since then she has tried to pick out blue clothes to wear and has had second thoughts on her color choice. I assured her that her clothes don't have to match her earrings, but that she (being a blondie) just plain looks good in blue. We topped it off with some bright Barbie pink nail polish to balance out all of the blue. She has been growing her fingernails out lately which I told her she was welcome to do as long as she kept them clean. I asked her what I was doing, letting her get her ears pierced early and buying her bright pink nail polish and she just said "making me the most fashionable!" When I sent out a picture text to our family she was anxious to read all of their replies and was walking on cloud nine through the mall with her "I just got my ears pierced at Claire's" bag in her hand. Our little girl is growing up.

1 comment:

Sarie said...

Ooooh if I were you I'd be breathing a HUGE sigh of relief... Alex got it overwith and she was way tough enough! Wish that good luck on us, will ya? We'll be waiting much longer!!