Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Morning Star

The fog is still settled over the valley, seeming to be quite happy with where it is. I hope it knows that it's not welcome to take up permanent residence and moves on soon, because I know I have. It has had quite an affect on the plants near the bottom of the mountain though. Eventually we met up with the fog and found that on one side of the mountain every bush and tree limb was covered in a thick coating of frozen fog. Crystal like formations that belong on a string in a science lab. Then on the other side of the mountain all you could see was a white abyss, darning you to test it's depth (I tried not to look in that direction).

After climbing high enough we had another sunscreen, layer shedding, ice melting day on the mountain. No snow was left in the parking lot and there was no ice on the slopes. The picture below is of the cloud-covered valley, if only everyone knew that the sun was hiding just a 40 minute drive UP.

I had a hard time finding Alex today, I found out at the end of her class that it was because she spent the day on the Morning Star chair lift getting her used to steeper slopes and longer runs. She was so tired by the end of the day, but she did great and really enjoyed herself. I cut out a little section of the trail map and posted it below. She's been hanging out at the "Coach's Corner" to the right and yesterday moved to "Morning Star" to the left. She said that she didn't like the lift because it was so high up, I'm just glad her teacher was the one to get her used to riding it and not me. I'm hoping to be able to sneak behind them next time and see how he guides her down so I can do the same when I take her up on my own.

I tried during the week to post a video and for some reason it wouldn't take it. I need to look into that because I have some of each of them skiing as well as some of Alex playing her violin and Johnny with his ukulele that they got for Christmas. If anyone has any tips, please pass them on!

2 comments:

Celeste said...

beautiful pictures... it looks fake!

Cindy said...

Wow! Those really are beautiful pictures. I can't even imagine how amazing that would look in person.