Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wish List Granted

Sunshine? Check
Pictures? Check
Alex on the bus? Check
Potty breaks? Check
Better Jacket for Johnny? Check
Backpack? Check
Clear roads? Double check
We woke up to heavy fog laying on the ground outside our house. I grew up with fog and told myself "it'll burn off by this afternoon". I guess fog in the valley is different than fog on the ocean. No wind blowing it on it's way and colder weather keeping it from evaporating. I was relieved when we got closer to the mountain and saw blue skies peeking through the clouds. At the top of the mountain we had bright warm sunshine. We had to take off a layer of clothes and apply sunscreen, beautiful. "It's summer!" Alex exclaims "because we're wearing sunscreen and playing in water". The slush was melting in the parking lots providing numerous puddles for the kids to splash through. As we looked back out over the valley we could see what looked like a huge bowl of marshmallow fluff in the distance. Alex wanted so bad to go down and "touch" the clouds because they looked so soft and fluffy and tangible.
Because of the clear roads we had time to stop at the gas station at the base of the mountain for a potty break and once we got to the top I had a nice big backpack to carry their skis, helmets and goggles on my back making it possible to carry mine in one hand and Johnny's hand with my other available hand. Someone told me I looked like I was practicing to be a caddy and that it looks like I've done this before. I told him "trial and error".
It was so beautiful I spent my entire time on the slopes but did manage to snap a couple of pictures as the kids were finishing up their lessons. I'll get more when Brad and I take them up on our own to have a little fun at the end of the month.
Johnny's teacher was teaching him to "drive his car" so he would keep his hands out in front of him. So Johnny would take off making motor sounds and gripping an invisible wheel the entire way. It was so funny, everyone's head would turn to see the little "car" pass them up on the "rabbit hill" (that's what Johnny calls it instead of the bunny hill). I ended up putting his old 2T jacket on him which actually fit him perfect still (poor kid) so his gloves stayed on just fine the whole time. If it didn't get dark so soon I would've taken them back out after their lessons for some more skiing, they were both loving it. I just didn't want to be stuck driving down the winding mountain road in the dark. I can't wait to take them during the day so they can show off all they've learned! So in answer to my last impending question. YES, it was worth it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to ski with the kids!!! Are you bringing them to Park City for the annual ski trip?

Sarie said...

Ok, Johnny is ridiculous! He is SO! CUTE! And I love how small he is. On the rabbit hill? How cute. Ok, I'll stop saying cute, but seriously.