Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tears were shed...

Alex came downstairs for lunch today wearing her large curly blonde wig and kept it on for a good hour before I found locks of hair on my bathroom floor. When she took off her wig my initial reaction was shock, I wasn't prepared for the drastic cut she had given herself. From what I had found on the floor I didn't expect much, later I found the rest hiding in the garbage can under many layers of tissue. I cried and she ran and hid. Brad came upstairs to see what the problem was and assured me that "it's just hair" and not something to get so upset about. Then he saw what she did. Her hair was just below her shoulders and in this picture you can still see a little bit of the hair in the back that didn't get touched. She cut her bangs all the way to the top and gave herself even more bangs on one side. She told me "this is how all the high school kids wear their hair, I think it looks good." I took her right away to get it fixed because I didn't even know where to begin myself. The lady blended in the layers she had given herself and gave her a little under cut. Then parted it on the side and told me to pull it over and put it in a clip until it grew out. While she was getting her hair cut I smile at her in the mirror and shook my head. She smiled back and mouthed "I love you Mom". I love her too of course, I love her enough that I will not let her touch scissors again for a very long time. Here are the before and after shots. Not too bad except for those bangs. Thank goodness her hair grows fast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny!!! I too cut all my hair off when I was younger. I think I used a razor on my bangs. I do think it makes her look a bit older. How cute!!!

Sarie said...

Why does it just hurt our hearts as mothers to think of our daughter doing something like this? Holy cow, I would be so upset if Grace touched her long black hair! Laurel, I am thinking of you...

Sarie said...

ps... She looks very cute with short hair though!

Unknown said...

As a hairdresser myself, whoever fixed it did a great job! But hey, she was right, all the high school girls are wearing their hair like that.